Monday, May 14, 2012

SolusOS Linux

 
SolusOS Linux

     Last night I was surfing the web looking for nothing important as usual. In my searching I came across softpedia.com where I found an OS that I had never heard of, SolusOS http://solusos.com
  For the last couple of weeks I have installing and reinstalling different distros, like LMDE, Ubuntu 12.04, Kubuntu 12.04, Linux Mint 12, and Suse, and let me say that they all had there issues. Ubuntu 12.04, on my desktop and laptop, my wireless internet connection speed was reduce from 144 mb/s to 72 mb/s. Now in Linux Mint 12 it worked at 144. LMDE I couldn't get the wireless to work at all. I'm using a D-Link DW131 usb and a TP-Link usb wireless adapters. They both use the same driver rt8712. I didn't understand why it would chop the speed almost in half. I searched everywhere but could not find a solution. That was frustrating. It makes a world of difference when watching internet videos.

     Unity is better than it was but I still would rather use Gnome 3.2 just because I can move around faster. Getting them to look the way I want is not the issue. Over the last last few releases and changes with Gnome and Unity I have figured out how to fix all that. But getting the system to run smoothly without chocking was more important. My Toshiba Netbook NB255 isn't the fasted thing in the world but when a distro claims that it will run fast on old hardware I kind of believed it. Unity works great on my Dell Inspiron 530 destktop. Looks great and runs great. It's just the connection speed reduction got me stuck. Not much of a performance hindering ordeal with the desktop though. Linux Mint 12 is perfect in KDE 4.8. Everything is fast and smooth, Internet included with no noticeable reduced speed even at a reduced speed.

     Now my Netbook, using KDE, actually it didn't matter which distro, it would run slow as a slug in syrup. I realized that I had to use Xrender instead of OpenGL. The video card has a lot to do with performance. It would take forrrrreeeeever to click anything before changing it. Once I did that it ran much faster. It wasn't usable with OpenGL. Again my Internet connection was reduced with Ubuntu, no wireless with LMDE, and perfect in Linux Mint 12. Of course with all these distros something would be missing and had to be installed. No big deal. That's just the nature of the beast. One thing I did find odd was that although Linux Mint 12 in KDE work great, it was when I added Cinnamon that I ran into some problems. It installed a form of Unity and Gnome 3. I figured that was cool, until I tried using the settings. In Mint's version of Unity, Cinnamon, and Gnome the System Updater, Synaptic, or Cinnamon setting would not work. They just simply did not open. It would ask for the root password but then nothing. I tried running them in a terminal with no luck. If I tried as root I would get a GTK error and if I ran as a regular user I wouldn't get root privileges. Hmm. Could'nt figure that out either. So Linux Mint 12 was good in KDE only, but not in it's version of Unity or Gnome. I would just expect all that to just work if it is coming from Mint's repos. I guess not

     Then there is SolusOs. Something I just happen to stumble upon. I downloaded the torrent, burned it to a CD, installed it, and that was it. I am typing this article using SolusOS. I haven't had to do anything. The only thing I did different was I used the experimental video drivers which seems to be working fine and I installed Opera. Other than that, everything worked right out of the box. Both of my usb wireless adapters worked with no problem at the rate of 144-150 mb/s. Everything just worked.

I looked up the definition of Solus and found it to mean simply “Alone”. It's fitting because it's Alone, at least for me, in that its functionality has been flawless compared to the other distros that I have used. I listened to Ikey Doherty the lead developer and project founder of SolusOS, http://www.mintcast.org/2012/03/episode-105-ikey-on-solusos and I liked the direction he is going with this project. He believes that no matter what level you are at, that everything should just work. You shouldn't have to deal with a bunch of options or trying to get this or that to work during or after you install it. Your average user doesn't want to deal with all of that. You should be able to install it and get to work. I like that. Finally someone is listening. This is my first day with it and so far and I like it. Of course there is always the people who may think it's too simple and just for noobs. I get that. There are plenty of distros for you tinkering types. I have been using Linux for awhile now and It was fun in the beginning to learn how my computer worked and I appreciate those lessons, but I don't want to do all that now. I just want it to work.

I finally said goodbye to Windows. I realized I wasn't using it much. I tested Windows 8 and found it to be fast and smooth but the flipping back and forth from Retro to the Windows 7 look was too much. Everything that I used did not work in Metro. I'm done with that for now. I'll wait until a tablet comes out with it installed and then I'll play with the demo products at Fry's or BestBuy. I won't buy one though. I have no need for it at the moment. In my own opinion none of them tops the iPad. I kind of like the fact that Apple owns all their stuff because that way I know it's going to work. The Tablet and Smart Phone market is too fragmented for me to trust any of it at the moment. But we will see. The Tablet world will figure it out and Apple will have to keep innovating to stay on top and without Steve Jobs we can only hope that his team under Tim Cook can continue to pull it off.  It might be a fun project to install Linux on the BlackBerry PlayBook 2.0, . That maybe all that it's good for. You can catch Nixie Pixel's review here, http://youtu.be/XGFIsLavE8E

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Solus... Actually means light. It's an Irish word.

    ReplyDelete